Volunteering and COVID-19: Spark the Change Colorado's CEO, Kristy Judd, featured on Mile High Living, May 2020.
With cases of COVID-19 on the rise across the state and the nation, Spark the Change Colorado hopes to be a resource for volunteer organizations and volunteers, alike. Check back to this page for resources and updates on how to keep yourself and volunteers healthy and safe.
If you are looking to volunteer during this time of need, consider the following resources:
- Check our Volunteer Opportunities Calendar or Search Our Volunteer Opportunities to find opportunities in your area.
- Visit the Harvest Pack page to find ways to support efforts to provide thousands of meals to individuals in need.
- Subscribe to the Help Colorado Now newsletter here.
- Check in with family, friends, and neighbors who are a part of the vulnerable populations listed above. Volunteer opportunities are all around us! Times of distress are the most vital time to reach out to fellow community members and lend a helping hand.
For COVID-19 Resources Specific to the City of Golden:
Tips for safely utilizing volunteers during COVID-19:
- Three main things to consider: Insurance, Release of Liability, and Training/Preparedness.
- Talk to your risk management staff; your insurance agent is a great place to start! This is important, as your liability may be at risk.
- Require a release form that has COVID-19 specific language from all participating volunteers (see example below).
- Consider your organization's capacity for screening practices: temperature checks, symptom reporting, etc.
- Indicate that in-person volunteer assignments during the pandemic could cause illness or death.
- Implement pandemic-conscious training following the CDC guidelines.
- Adjust opportunities to meet social distancing and PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) requirements. Also consider ways to stagger shifts/limit site occupancy to keep the amount of volunteers present at one time to a minimum.
Further, there are developing Safer at Home guidelines – including doing a health check when folks arrive coupled with tracing, so an Ambassador type of position to capture the name of the person, temperature and answers to health questions may be helpful.
Looking for Mental Health Support during this time?
Due to the changes enacted regarding COVID-19, you or someone you know may be feeling stressed, anxious, or isolated. For more information on Spark the Change Colorado's mental health related services, check out our Mental Wellness Program page!
Why is giving blood during times of crisis so important? Learn more from this Georgetown School of Nursing and Health Studies Article: "Donating Blood in Times of Crisis: How to Help"
There is an urgent need for blood. If you would like to do something to give back, you are healthy and eligible, please make an appointment at a Vitalant donation center or blood drive near you: vitalant.org.
Additionally, Garth Englund has donation sites in Fort Collins, as well as Loveland. For more information call (970-495-8965).
The Children’s Hospital has requested people to have their call screened before making an appointment (720-777-5398).
St. Mary’s Regional Blood Center supplies 19 area hospitals on the Western Slope and can be reached at online at donor.stmarysbloodcenter.org or by phone (970-298-2555).
COVID-19 Blog Series: Check out Coronavirus related information in our new Spark Blog Series.
The following agencies are supporting COVID-19 response and recovery across the State of Colorado. Please consider supporting them directly.
Other Helpful Resources:
Spark the Change Colorado - Kind Connection Program
Help Colorado Now - The State of Colorado is Looking for Volunteers - New Website under construction!
Hunger Free Colorado - Food Resources During the COVID-19 Outbreak
Denver Delivery Network - Shops for and delivers essential items to neighbors who may be impacted by COVID-19.
Colorado Department of Labor and Employment (CDLE) - Resources for Workers & Employers
USDA Rural Development - Immediate Measures to Help Rural Residents, Businesses and Communities Affected by COVID-19
Association of Fundraising Professionals - COVID-19 Resource Guide
Amy Eisenstein - Capital Campaign Fundraising During Coronavirus: Your Questions Answered
Independent Sector - Advocacy and Trainings for the Social Sector
Building Movement Project - Sustaining Non-Profits in a Time of Crisis