Age Minimum (with Adult): 13+, Minimum Age:18+, Sterling Volunteers Level: Level 1
Warrior House Makeover- Construction/Labor Volunteer
Warrior House Makeover
Rehab Day: 2/21-2/23, 2020
JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Construction Volunteer Position
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
Construction volunteers are the heart and soul of our building projects! Construction volunteers assist with all stages of construction throughout the project to help build accessible, Veteran Approved homes for our Warrior families in need.
*Tasks may vary depending on construction schedule and weather.
* Specific tasks may include, but are not limited to, site preparation, foundation work, framing, flooring, insulation, drywall, roofing, siding, painting, finish work, landscaping, and site cleanup and maintenance as necessary.
No qualifications necessary! Warrior homes are built by willing hands and loving hearts. Our site supervisors and project manager are happy to teach any skills you may need.
Shifts: Workdays at the construction site are Wednesday through Saturday, 8:00AM – 7:00PM and finishing Sunday with reveal. Plan to bring a lunch, and be prepared for the weather! Full and half day shifts are available. You can sign up for shifts here on Sparkthechangecolorado, online at housesforwarriors.org by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling our office line: (303) 357-1518. The Construction Site address will be given at orientation.
Volunteers must attend an orientation, fill out our Volunteer Waiver form, and watch a short safety video. Any other training will be provided on the job site and throughout the year.
Orientations will be held:
Dates: 1/16, 1/23, and 2/12, 2/6, and 2/13, 2020.
Location: Daniels Fund
101 Monroe Street (at the corner of First Avenue & Monroe Street)
Denver, Colorado 80206
As A Volunteer:
Be prepared to – Work hard - Meet new friends - Learn new skills - Make a difference in our community
Work Location: Lochbuie, Colorado Address disclosed at orientation
Position Level 1; Volunteers must register and create an account on sparkthechangecolorado.com keyword: houses for warriors
· Perform construction activities
· Assist with painting, power washing, building projects, cleaning and related work
Level of Difficulty 1=easy/5=demanding (physical, mental, emotional)
· Physical difficulty is level 4; requires rigorous activities for the bulk of the shift including bending, digging, lifting and working outside; much of the work requires a high level of physical strength and high levels of mobility
· Mental difficulty is level 2; proficiency in basic construction and property maintenance is required; requires training and following rules and procedures
· Emotional difficulty is level 1; role doesn’t involve emotionally-charged issues or situations
Expected Environmental Conditions
All of the work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions which can include extreme heat. Knowledge of any allergies to wild plants is important. How Often Volunteers Work On-site All work is performed on site Orientation/Training Orientation includes the following: overview and brief walking tour of the ranch, description of rules, and overview of volunteer opportunities. Volunteers will be trained on the particular aspects and tasks required for their role.
· Practice and strengthen construction and maintenance skills
· Exposure to the operations and management of a construction project and various trades to include plumbing, carpentry, landscaping, roofing, and more.
Qualifications/Requirements for Volunteer Applicants
· Volunteers under 18 must have permission from a parent or guardian to participate in our program. Teens 16-17 may work independently after attending the orientation with their parent or guardian. Teens 13-15 can volunteer with a parent or guardian as their partner at all times.
· Be a motivated individual with a strong belief in Houses for Warriors’ mission
· Work effectively both as an individual contributor as well as part of a team
· Must be physically and mentally capable of performing the basic job activities and responsibilities
· Must have reliable transportation and arrive on time for shifts
· Must wear closed-toed shoes
· Must learn and follow all guidelines and policies of The Houses for Warriors construction event and follow directions given by staff
· Must submit the required paperwork and sprakthechangecolorado.com registration/sign-up before being assigned
· Should have access to a computer and ability to login into an online volunteer communication site to receive updates, as well as a phone for easy communication
· Current tetanus inoculation required
Tools/Equipment Provided (including Personal Protective Equipment)
All tools and supplies needed for the work will be provided. Gloves, ear protection, face mask, and eye protection/safety glasses are also provided.
May use personal tools with waiver
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: