Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Minoru Yasui Grant Writer Needed
The Minoru Yasui Community Volunteer Award is a program of Spark the Change Colorado.
In 1975, an unprecedented program to honor unheralded volunteers was established in Denver. The Commission on Community Relations, the Rocky Mt. News and The United Bank of Denver, now Wells Fargo joined forces to acknowledge the “Unsung Heroes,” extraordinary volunteers who received little recognition. The initial monetary award which went to the non-profit of the honoree’s choice was $500. It is currently $2000.
In 1977, the award was renamed after Min Yasui, a committee member. Min was a Japanese American, born and raised in Hood River, Oregon. He attended the University of Oregon for his undergraduate degree and law degree. Min’s time in an internment camp during World War II, made him acutely aware of the injustices targeted at Japanese Americans and Japanese immigrants. After the war, he moved to Denver. He fought for civil rights. He valued integrity and inclusivity. He acted with vision, perseverance and compassion. He understood the importance and the impact of volunteerism in the community.
This award celebrates those volunteers that give their time and energy and their hearts to a cause. Volunteers are the backbone of most nonprofits. Our recipients don’t just give a day or a week, they give years.
We are looking for dedicated grant writers to join our committee for The Minoru Yasui Community Volunteer Award. You will be responsible for gathering documentation and fulfilling the necessary requirements of various funding bodies to formally seek funding on behalf of the organization. This involves researching funding opportunities from organizations whose grants match with our organization’s mission & vision and writing coherent, organized, and compelling proposals.
If you love fundraising, appreciate volunteerism and enjoy conducting research and creating narratives, we encourage you to apply!
· Prepare proposals by determining concept, gathering and formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining approvals
· Meet proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal
· Develop proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation
· Write, revise, and edit drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials
· Maintain quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases
· Obtain approvals by reviewing proposal with Committee Chairperson
· Improve proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, and coordination
· Research and initiate relationships with new prospective funders
· Write letters of inquiry and solicitations
· Verify that proposals have been received and that appropriate follow-up has occurred
· Submit project revisions to funders as necessary
· Cultivate relationships with foundation representatives to ensure foundation giving
· Excellent written communication skills and research skills
· Ability to understand the needs of both Minoru Yasui and funding organizations
· Great organizational and computer skills
· Ability to understand and execute complex instructions
· Deadline- and detail-oriented
· Bachelor’s degree is English, Journalism, Communications or Marketing preferred
The grant writer/researcher position with the Minoru Yasui Community Volunteer Award Committee is voluntary without remuneration.
For more information, please contact: Cindy Piggott @email@example.com
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: